Update on Covid-19

Share this


Perth Racecourse update following Scottish Racing announcement

Scottish Racing, alongside the BHA, has today confirmed the planned resumption of racing at Perth, behind closed doors, on Tuesday July 21, Tuesday August 11 and Sunday August 30.

Hazel Peplinski, Perth Racecourse Chief Executive, said: "Perth Racecourse is extremely keen to play its part in the horse-racing industry’s collective effort to provide safe sporting enjoyment and to help restart the economy, especially in badly hit rural areas.

"With our first scheduled behind closed doors fixture not until July 21, we look forward to learning best practice from our colleagues at Ayr, Musselburgh and Hamilton Park who will restart earlier, should all go to plan. It is exciting to think there could be some competitive action on these three Scottish tracks next month.

"Here at Perth we remain really busy – there has been some remedial work done to the track in these dry conditions and now the planning for mid-July can really begin in earnest. There is a long road ahead and we must stay nimble and realise nothing is set in stone, with the reminder by the First Minister earlier today to exert extreme caution and patience to avoid undoing all recent progress in controlling the virus.

"However after such a long time in lockdown, with so much uncertainty, to have some confirmed dates for the intentional restart of some racing - albeit behind closed doors and assuming the permissions from the Scottish Government and BHA - gives us a target to work to and we just need to remain patient and reactive to circumstances."

Today’s announcement means that Perth’s previously advertised fixtures in July and August are now abandoned. All ticket holders should look out for a transfer/refund email from Perth Racecourse and are thanked for their patience and understanding while Perth’s small team handle everything that is involved in these changes during a challenging period for all.


Horseracing in Scotland Getting Ready to Return

Following the Scottish Government’s publication of the route map for moving out of lockdown, Scottish Racing is making plans for a resumption of racing to be carried out behind closed doors.

Discussions are taking place between Scottish Racing and the Scottish Government to support these provisional fixtures, during Phase 2 of public health restrictions.  Subject to a range of factors – particularly public health and the approval of the Scottish Government – our aim is to commence on Monday 22 June 2020.

The sport’s regulator, the British Horseracing Authority (BHA), has released protocols for racing behind closed doors, which includes specific guidance for the racing industry to help safeguard the health of employees and participants in a controlled and managed return to racing.

With only 3.7% of all British horses in training being resident in Scotland, the five Scottish racecourses rely heavily on being able to welcome horses to race from all areas of Britain, and the protocols include detailed information for the safe movement of all horses, jockeys, racing staff and their relevant equipment.

The documents are applicable for everyone attending race meetings, and their employers, who will all need to be aware of and comply with the new and revised procedures and protocols in place.  A six point plan details who is permitted to attend the racecourse during these early stages of resumption; an overview of the compulsory pre-raceday health screening requirement; information about the use of Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) and face coverings; and changes to racecourse protocols and procedures to ensure compliance with social distancing requirements.

By resuming racing, albeit behind closed doors, Scottish Racing recognises the wide range of benefits this can bring during these early stages of restrictions being lifted.  It will enable a number of the industry’s staff to be able to return to work, protect their livelihoods, and allow thousands of equine athletes to race as they have been bred and trained to do.  In turn, this will reduce the burden on the taxpayer by allowing staff across racing in Scotland and the north of England to be un-furloughed and generate significant revenues to pay for public services.

A significant number of races in Scotland showcase a world-leading racing and breeding industry and keep international investment flowing into Scotland, creating jobs and prosperity, and by bringing live sport back to people’s TV screens can lift people’s spirits and make lockdown restrictions easier to bear.  

Scottish Racing’s Manager, Delly Innes, said: “The public can have confidence in our ability to race behind closed doors as safely as possible when the government allows more industries back to work. As a highly regulated industry we have considerable experience of keeping any potential health and safety risks to an absolute minimum.  We are working with Public Health officials to protect those coming back to work, the local communities in which race meetings take place and the wider public, against the risk of transmission of Covid-19.  We are fully prepared to stage race meetings in a strictly controlled environment which fully comply with all the requirements of governmental and racing industry bodies, once they decide the time is right to resume racing.”

With the health of our participants and the general public a priority, Scottish Racing and industry leaders will strictly follow Government guidelines when the easing of restrictions during Phases 3 and 4 of the Scottish Government’s route map are announced. 



BHA update

Following yesterday’s announcement by the BHA, it is with great regret and sadness to confirm the enforced cancellation of all racing at Perth until the end of June.

With the health and safety of everyone the absolute priority at present, we both understand and support the decision by racing’s governing bodies and welcome the clarity that this provides.

That said, nothing can quell the disappointment felt by everyone at Perth especially on behalf of all of those racegoers planning for some time to attend and enjoy our events in May and June.

Unfortunately, as we all know, these are unprecedented circumstances and we will always treat public health and safety as well as the welfare of all those in the racing industry with the utmost importance.

As per our terms and conditions, we will be honouring ticketholders a direct ticket transfer to 2021 or a refund. We ask that you please continue to bear with us given the volume of affected racedays we are now dealing with. We will be in touch via email over the next few weeks with a link to process your choice.


Please also note:

- The Office is closed and therefore we cannot receive any calls. We are experiencing a significant volume of emails to our info@perth-races.co.uk address, so please bear with us and if you are able to wait for our email coming through to you that would be greatly appreciated.

- No transfers or refunds can be made until the email has been issued and we will endeavour to refund within our T&Cs of 28 days from the cancelled event.


Finally, but importantly: over the past few weeks we have been heartened by the incredible support we have felt from all members of the Perth Racecourse family, including you, our valued customers.

All the team would like to sincerely thank you for your understanding and support at this challenging time for us all.

Stay safe and well and look after one another.



Office Closure

Given the current advice from the Scottish and UK Governments regarding social distancing because of Covid-19, we are closing the racecourse office until further notice.

The course and facilities will continue to be maintained in preparation for when racing commences.

We will keep all our racegoers informed as soon as we have any information to share.

Take care and keep safe.



Perth Festival 2020 - Cancellation

It is with great sadness to announce the enforced cancellation of all racing until the end of April due to the outbreak of Coronavirus.

The team share the disappointment of those planning to attend after having worked so hard to build the event for all to enjoy. Unfortunately, these are unprecedented circumstances and we take public health and safety as well as the welfare of all those in the racing industry very seriously.

As per our terms and conditions, we will be honouring ticketholders a direct ticket transfer to the Perth Festival 2021 or a refund in full. Please bear with us, we will be in touch via email in the next few days.